Friday, March 9, 2007

Agriculture related stuff (long post part 7)

There was a time I was into gardening. I used to take care of my mom's orchids, watering them every afternoon and sometimes even transplanting some of them. Our house was surrounded by pots and driftwoods of orchids. Sometimes my mom would sell them to friends for extra income. Unluckily our dog just loved trampling those lined up at our backyard.

I used to take care of malaysian mums and other flowering plants ...which didn't actually last that long before they actually wilted. Must be the weather. Then I had these herbs ...basil, rosemary, thyme, and oregano. It was great having fresh herbs for some of the pasta that I cooked. Too bad our dog trampled on some of them too (the others just decided to dry up). But that didn't stop me from my gardening feats. Up next was a lettuce box. It was nice having fresh salads whenever we wanted. Too bad these lettuces are very demanding for water. When we got back from the province after a day or two they were all dried out already. Darn!

I loved going to my lola's place in Batangas which used to have lots of trees! They range from mango, chicco, lanzones, guyabano, rambutan, caimito, langka, cacao, kamias, and even chesa. The clan also owned fields of sugarcane, cotton, and corn. I had memories of helping out harvest cotton and enjoy the fresh breeze of the wind. My mother side, on the other hand, have ricefields in Tarlac.

I used to dream of being in charge of our family's land share... but due to land disputes I got turned off with the idea.

No comments: