Friday, March 23, 2007

Wedding Coordinator

I’ve always had the penchant for organizing events…even as simple as organizing barkada out-of-town trips, birthday parties and get-togethers. Then when I got to college I was given opportunities to organize bigger events (UP Diliman Freshmen Week 2002 – which included the Freshmen Concert and Movie Rerun of A Beautiful Mind, Engineering Gradball 2004 – Intercontinental Hotel, Jag & Lee Sales, and other org activities).

I knew from then that I have a certain calling for organizing events. I just had some apprehensions of making it as a career since it’s unstable as compared to having a corporate job, thus putting my dream on hold.

When my bestfriends Andrea and Ramil were getting married I volunteered to coordinate their wedding. I’d rather do the dirty work which I think would have more impact to their wedding rather than just walk down the aisle as part of their entourage. These two are both my bestfriends in the first place! And honestly, I felt that it was a dream come true for me – to become a wedding coordinator! It’s one of those ambitions I immediately think of if given the chance to do something that I really want, not considering the salary or stability of the career.

Now Faye and Herbie are having their church wedding soon and I am very much honoured that they chose me to coordinate their wedding. It’s a bit hard considering that they’re both in Australia right now until around 2-3 weeks before their wedding, but thanks to technology we can easily bridge the distance. So far so good! We’ve actually accomplished a lot already considering it’s still around 9 months before their wedding. Besides communicating through emails and ym chat sessions, we also came up with this blog to serve as their wedding memento as well.

Coordinating their wedding made me realize how much I enjoy doing these kinds of things. It's one of the catalysts that made me reassess my career plans. I wanted to have a job that doesn't really seem like a job since I'm very much enjoying it. And I realized that this may probably be it! Then I just suddenly found myself resigning from my corporate job. Well this is not just the reason why I resigned... I've got a lot more on my list. It was probably the timing issue as well that hastened making this radical decision since a major wedding expo was coming up at that time which can really serve as a jumpstart for this new career I'm embarking on.

The wedding industry is a booming industry. As what they say: "Palaging may nagpapakasal! Hindi yan mauubos!" Just this past Wedding Expo at the PICC, Php25++ Million worth of bookings from the different wedding suppliers was recorded! Wow!!!!

I haven't really gone full speed ahead with this new career since, as what I've always mentioned in my previous blog entries, I wanna get some rest and just take things slow for the meantime. I'm also still in the process of creating my wedding coordination website, so watch out for that!

I’ve got two more weddings coming up. And I'm having a blast! I hope I get more clients soon! Wedding coordinators expand their network through word of mouth. It usually starts from a friend or a relative and then their friends and other relatives and so on and so forth. So in case you know of friends and relatives getting married soon I hope you’ll recommend me! =) Spread the word, ayt? This will really be a big help for me and my hubby pursue our plans of getting married as well! =)

No comments: