Friday, March 9, 2007

Teacher (long post part 2)

When I was a kid my ambition was to be a teacher…probably because my mom is a teacher. I'd always look forward to Christmas season since she usually brings a lot of gifts from her students ...which I usually end up using. Field trips were great also! I'd usually absent myself from school just to join their field trips! She used to bring me to their school and I'd watch her teach. She's a definitely a very animated teacher and I doubt her students ever got bored.

I remember having 2 classmates in college (Kas2 if I remember correctly) who were students of my mom. I felt very proud when they said that my mom was their favorite teacher back in high school and that she was able to teach them not just class lessons but more importantly, lessons in life. Teaching is indeed a very noble profession. It doesn't pay much financially but the imprints that they leave in the students are priceless...and that makes it worth it.

I did have experiences of teaching myself. I used to tutor Pisay kids (which actually makes me question why they actually need it... having tutors back then was a bit unthinkable for us... pisay students are supposed to be the creme of the crop...). We even had a class type tutoring for a certain batch in cooperation with their PTA. I can't believe I thought them Physics. I hated Physics.

I also had one-on-one tutorials...either home service or at mcdo or at my place. I would teach them geometry, algebra, chem, bio, and physics. It was actually a very lucrative sideline. I was earning Php 400-900 a session. I've had students who are actually bright but are just lazy...and then some ...uh... not so good ones. But one of the most rewarding moments I had with my so-called teaching career was when my student actually got the highest score in their chemistry exam! She was soo excited and very thankful. She said that her chemistry teacher was also surprised with her improvement. =)

I also volunteered to teach at Don Bosco for our org's College Entrance Review project. Oh boy! Those boys can be really rowdy...or too gay! hehe!

No comments: